Sunday, November 28, 2010
Meet a natural who transitioned from relaxed to natural hair for two months
Christina transitioned from relaxed to natural hair in early 2010. Here is her story:
WHY DID I CHOOSE TO GO NATURAL?
- Well the reason I chose to go natural is really a personal one. I don't want to offend anyone by saying this but I like to be real. I don't wear wigs or weaves because I felt as though I would be deceiving others. My younger sister went natural 3 or 4 years ago and this year in January I realized that I was "lying" to people. I was deceiving people by using relaxers in my hair. I thought to myself I need to be the God-given me. I wanted to be what God visioned me to be. So I decided to go natural.
HOW LONG HAD YOU BEEN PERMING YOUR HAIR?
- I will be 27 in November and I had my first relaxer around the age of 13. Wow... that's like 14 years!
WHAT WERE YOUR INITIAL THOUGHTS WHEN YOU DID THE BIG CHOP?
- I was excited. I had researched info on the web and was motivated and ready to get rid of the relaxed aka damaged hair. When I picked up the scissors that night I got really nervous. After the big chop I thought I looked beautiful. The morning after I was a little nervous about leaving the house and then I thought to myself... 'Christina, you wear the hair, the hair doesn't wear you'. I ventured out the front door and enjoyed my confidence! (I had to cut of some of my relaxed ends that were remaining later that night)
DID YOU TRANSITION?
- I transitioned for 2 1/2 months and then I was too excited and couldn't wait to have healthy hair. Then I cut it off!
WAS IT INITIALLY HARD TO GO NATURAL?
- Yes and No. I was excited about the new journey i was about to take but nervous and I think I changed my mind quite often.
DID YOU DO ACCESSORIZING (EARRINGS AND MAKEUP) TO TOP OFF YOUR NATURAL LOOK?
- Yes. My weekly motivation while transitioning was to purchase earrings, headbands, neck scarves (it was wintertime), and even hair products after I finished a week without manipulating my hair with chemicals, or harmful products. I even took a trip to D.C. (where my sister lives) to purchase natural hair things with my sister.
HOW WAS THE TRANSITION PROCESS FOR YOU?
- It started out really easy until the new growth became noticeable. My sister coached and encouraged me. I gt two cousins, and 1 aunt to do it with me. Then I became frustrated and bored with the styling options I had to wear with my short hair so I would do a wash and go and wear colored berets on my head everyday to my classroom.
WHAT TYPE OF NATURAL HAIR PRODUCTS DO YOU USE?
- I like to use all natural hair products. I started out using expensive items like (Kinky Curly line, DeVa Curl line (my fav), Aveda and CURLS from curls.biz. I stopped spending so much money so now I use.... Extra Virgiin Olive Oil, ECO Styler Gel Krystal, Giovanni Deep Moisture Conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, every now and then Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In Conditioner or Taliah Wajjid Mist Bodifyer Spray as a leave -in and I deep condition with mayo once a week and I use 100% all natural Henna as a deep conditioner once a month. On a daily basis I use EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Eco Styler Gel Krystal, and Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner.